Rieth Antonelli & Raj - Cleveland Family Law Attorneys Collaborative Divorce
Free Consultations 216-861-2222
Cleveland | Chagrin Falls
our practice areas

Answers about common child support questions

Child support can be a matter of some contention between ex-spouses with children. It is regarding the financial help that one parent is required to give the other in order to help support their child. Though the laws vary from state to state, they are typically focused on what is fair and what is in the best interests of the children involved. If you are interested in learning more about how child support laws work in Ohio, read on.

Who has to pay child support?

Both parents are obligated to financially support their child. However, only the parent who does not live with the child (known as the noncustodial parent) makes support payments. It is presumed that the residential or custodial parent is spending around the same amount of money on the child's care. Generally, the noncustodial parent, or the one who has a higher income, is the one who pays child support to the other parent. In cases of shared custody, child support amounts may be reduced, unless there is a large difference in income between the parents.

How is child support determined?

Child support is calculated using a particular formula that is a part of the state's law. It uses the gross income of each parent, with permitted adjustments (income tax, spousal or child support orders that have been paid or received, expenses related to raising other children, work-related childcare costs, the portion of health insurance for the child, and more). There is also a chart that lists total joint incomes (with the adjustments) and the child support amounts that correspond with each result. These figures can be adjusted, but they present a starting point for determining the final figure.

How long does a paying parent obligated to pay child support?

Generally, the parent is obligated to continue paying child support until the child reaches age 18 or becomes emancipated. However, if the child is a full-time student at an accredited high school after the age of 18 or if he or she has a physical or mental disability and cannot support him or herself, the parent will often be required to continue paying child support.

Is it possible to modify the amount of child support that is paid?

It is always possible to modify the amount of child support that must be paid if there is an unanticipated change in the circumstances of the parent or the child. If this is the case, the court must determine a new amount. When considering modifying child support payments, the court will have to recalculate the amounts based on the standard formula. If the deviation between the original amount and the recalculated amount is considered a significant enough change in circumstances, the child support order can be modified.

As you can see, there is a lot to know when it comes to child support in Ohio and it is important for anyone who is receiving or paying child support to understand how it works. If you have any questions about support amounts, payments or are seeking modification, contact an experienced family law attorney at Rieth Antonelli & Raj. We will discuss your situation, explain the applicable law and help you with your child support matter.

Solutions To Family Conflicts

Rieth Antonelli & Raj is a highly regarded boutique law firm focused on the practice of divorce and family law in
the greater Cleveland area. We successfully resolve property division, child custody, spousal support, child support and related problems.

Although we resolve many cases through collaborative negotiations and other out-of-court methods,
our skilled lawyers are fully prepared to protect clients' interests in courtroom proceedings when necessary.

Get A Free Consultation TodayOur firm’s goal is to always achieve an outcome that works for you and your entire family.

All entries are required.

Contact Information

I have read the disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy